top of page

24 most dangerous foods for dogs

Luna Golden Retriever

We have to watch what we give our dogs. What we eat can be deadly for our dogs. Here's a few Human foods NOT to give to your dogs. What to avoid and what to do in an emergency. A 3-year-old golden retriever named Millie died in Dallas, TX last week after ingesting sugar-free gum.

Xylitol — an ingredient in the gum that’s also commonly found in baked goods, toothpaste and vitamins — caused severe liver damage in Millie, and the dog was put down.

Millie isn’t the first dog to die from ingesting xylitol. As the natural sweetener as grown in popularity, veterinarians have reported more cases of poisonings.

In addition to being found in food items and dental products, xylitol can also be purchased for baking. It’s safe for human consumption, but even small amounts of the substance can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure or death in dogs.

Millie and her puppy

While many dog owners know to keep Chocolate out of their canine companions’ reach, dangerous ingredients like xylitol are lesser known.

That’s why Lilly Chang — after catching her boyfriend trying to feed grapes to her dog — collaborated with a veterinarian to design the poster below.

The poster outlines some of the most dangerous people foods for dogs, including

  • Alcohol

  • Chocolate

  • Coffee

  • Caffeine

  • Nuts

  • Avocados

  • Mushrooms

  • Grapes

  • Raisins

  • Macadamia Nuts

  • Milk and Dairy

  • Citrus

  • Coconut

  • Coconut oil

  • Mushrooms

  • Onions

  • Garlic

  • Chives

  • Raw Meats

  • Raw Eggs

  • Raw bones

  • Salt

  • Salty Snack Foods

  • Xylitol

  • Yeast Dough

It doesn’t contain information about how much of each food is toxic to a dog because it can differ from animal to animal.

“Toxicity is not always linear,” writes Dr. James Smith DVM, who helped Chin with the poster. “Sometimes a dog eats a bag of grapes and is fine and other times a dog eats one bite of pork fried rice and dies of pancreatitis. Sometimes only portions of a fruit are toxic and other parts are fine. Sometimes there are at least three variables that must be calculated before you know if a food was ingested at a toxic amount.”

Dogs that have eaten something toxic may exhibit any of the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Lack of appetite

  • Lethargy

  • Painful abdomen

  • Seizures

  • Coma

If you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic, see your veterinarian immediately.

It can also be beneficial to save the ASPCA Animal Poison Control’s number in your phone, so you can call in the event of emergency. The line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and can be reached at 1-888-426-4435.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Follow Us
bottom of page